We hear from many of you asking how you can become a better applicant. After hearing this question many times over, I started noticing some concrete opportunities out there.
In the last post, I sent a quick announcement on the GeneDx Prospective Visitors Day. This date has now passed, but consider checking the GeneDx website for an opportunity in 2017.
NOTE (6/8/2016): The following list was composed in 2016 and has been edited per reader comments and information from colleagues. It is probably not a complete list – and some of the dates are probably past – but we’re happy to continue adding. I imagine we will create a new list for 2017. In the meantime, if you have an opportunity you would like added here, please comment below!
- Sarah Lawrence College also hosts a Genetic Counseling Career Day. According to their website, this day will be held in June 2016, though agenda and registration are still in development. You’ll want to check here: https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/human-genetics/career-day.html
- The University of South Carolina (alma mater shout out) also offers an online course with both Spring and Fall enrollment. The course is called Genetic Counseling: Career for the Future. The course is offered online over a twelve week period with 2-3 hours of self-paced activity. Read more details here: http://geneticcounseling.med.sc.edu/onlinecourse.asp
- Wayne State is offering an open house on two dates in 2016 (one in June and one in August). The open house gives potential students the chance to learn more about the GC field and the Wayne State program. The flyer is here: http://www.genetics.wayne.edu/sites/default/files/docs/Open%20House%20Flyer%202016.pdf
- Indiana University opens applications May 2, 2016 for their graduate program open house: http://www.ingc.info/site/indiana-university-genetic-counseling-graduate-program-open-house/
- The University of Cincinnati/Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Genetic Counseling Program has a DNA sample day every year as well as an Open House. The DNA Sample Day is an overview of genetic counseling as a whole. The Open House features the UC/CCHMC program itself. The next DNA Day is on August 12, 2016 (http://www.geneticcounseling4u.org/prospective_students/DNA%20Day%202016.pdf). The Open House is usually in the fall, around Thanksgiving.
- The Genetic Task Force of Illinois and the Northwestern University Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling is hosting a genetic counseling workshop. This will occur August 12, 2016 at the Robert H. Lurie Medical Research Center. Additional details and registration information is available here: http://www.illinoisgenetics.org/event-2251863
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison is offering a Master’s Program Open House on 8/23/2016: http://www.med.wisc.edu/event/master-of-genetic-counselor-studies-program-open-house/48946